Thursday, September 12, 2013

Better Late Than Never...

I had intended to post weekly to my blog.  Reality had different plans.  I am in full lesson-planning mode, and spending most of my spare time figuring out what I will be teaching in my classes this year, and how to implement the cool techniques I have in my toolbox!  Already many of my tricks have come in handy.  Thank-you to all my awesome instructors and core teachers, as well as my colleagues in HU105 - working with you has helped me become a better teacher, and I am endeavoring to make you proud by providing a top-notch and fully engaging learning experience for my students!


Our first week of school went by so fast!  It started on Tuesday, September 3rd.  We had a school wide assembly and my friend and flatmate Alicia sang a beautiful song for everyone.  She teaches Drama, Social Studies, and English, as well as being an amazing singer!

Our second week of school is now almost over, and I adore my students.  I am teaching Science and Math to five 6th graders, five 5th graders, and 14 2nd graders.  The 2nd graders also learn English from me, and the 5th/6th graders have me for homeroom.  I share subjects with several other teachers; and consequently am able to co-teach!  My 2nd graders learn math in English and German; their homeroom teacher is also one of the German teachers and we teach together.  I am picking up some German in this class - I can now count to 100!  However, my general German language studies have stalled in deference to my lesson planning. As I get more organized and pick up steam, though, I will be able to work on it again!  There is a bit of a language barrier, but the students are pretty great about helping each other figure out the correct English word. I have such smart and resourceful students!



I spend most of my week working, but try to relax and have fun when and where I can. I have amazing flatmates who enjoy playing boardgames (what luck!), and I try to explore new places on the weekends.


This past weekend I experienced a Saturday Fruit & Vegetable Market, an awesome underground humidor, the swing festival in Kaiserslautern, and a Ramstein cover band in Landsthul.  Good times!  I fully expect to lesson plan this weekend, but if I am able to take some time out for fun, rest assured I'll share it with you!  I miss you very much, but am grateful for the opportunity to be here in Germany.  Tschuss!

3 comments:

  1. Good on ya Maureen, but I'm still trying to figure out if Germany has anything on Toppenish... I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clem,
    Well, this is a private school, but I certainly do miss consistent internet and a copier/printer... I miss my colleagues from HU105, too! But I am thrilled to be here! If you're looking for a change of scenery, they're opening up a location in Manheim this summer. I know how much you enjoy teaching Kindergarten! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clem,
    Well, this is a private school, but I certainly do miss consistent internet and a copier/printer... I miss my colleagues from HU105, too! But I am thrilled to be here! If you're looking for a change of scenery, they're opening up a location in Manheim this summer. I know how much you enjoy teaching Kindergarten! ;-)

    ReplyDelete