Monday, September 3, 2012

Back From Summer Break...

     In my last blog entry I announced my intention to bring balance back for my mind, body, and soul.   I committed to at least weekly entries on my blog, detailing my adventures and progress, and although I am remiss in my weekly entries, I have been making progress!  Although I took a short hiatus from training in Jui Jitsu, I am still preparing for the Pirate Plunder (4 mile obstacle course race in October) - today I ran for two 8 minute segments with a 5 minute walking break in between.  I am continuing to eat vegan, and have lost an average of 1lb per week! Additionally, I have decided to do a 30 Day Challenge each month.  This month: 30 Days of Vegan Cooking, where I will try a new recipe for each day this month - but more on that later.

     I visited Jamie in Colorado Springs in early August. It was the anniversary of his ordeal. He is still healing, and continues to improve.  Physically he is healed.  Mentally, spiritually, & emotionally, well those take more time and care for everyone. But he has tenacity, and he will accomplish his goals.  I will cheer him on every step of the way because I have absolute faith he will succeed. 

     The last bit of summer vacation was spent with my cousin Kristina, my sister Bridget, and friends at the Washington Midsummer Rennisiansce Faire, which was cathartic as I went last year right after learning of Jamie's injury. I am so grateful for my cousins' support as well as family friend Trek, Susie, another dear cousin, and her friend Mike who was a wounded warrior and helped me understand some of what Jamie would be going through. I am blessed to have so many people that love me.

I started school again, co-teaching 6th grade reading at Toppenish Middle School and I am really enjoying it! My core teacher graduated from my program last year and is amazing! Our principal is supportive and wonderful - I am looking forward to how much stronger of a teacher this experience will help me become.

Ok - so the 30 Day Vegan Recipe Challenge: so far I made my first ever lasagna (absolutely excellent) using recipes from my Veganomicon, including a cashew 'riccotta' and a marinara sauce; as well as a basmati rice & lentil dish. Yes, that's only 2 and today is September 3rd, but I'm counting the lasagna as two - it was a lot of work but SO worth it! Stay tuned, and thank-you for all your love and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment